Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day and Curry Chicken Salad

   We had a nice Mother's Day celebration on Saturday with my Mom and Grandma.  It is always so fun for my kids to interact with their Great Grandma Carr and she does so well keeping up with their craziness!  I wish the weather could have been a little warmer, but other than that it was a fun filled day of running around at Great Grandma's house.  I hope everyone else had a great day and enjoyed all the wonderful things that make motherhood so fantastic and exciting!

A huge thank you goes out to my sister for arranging the whole day, 
coordinating all the times and telling me what food to bring!

I made a Curry Chicken Salad for sandwiches.  I originally saw the recipe here, but tweaked it a little to make it my own.  Here is my recipe:

Curry Chicken Salad
serves 4-5 full sandwiches or 6 half pitas

1 whole chicken (deboned and skinned) or 5 cups chopped chicken
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. raisins
2 stalks of celery (chopped)
1 apple (I used Gala, skinned and chopped into bite size pieces)
1 c. plain Greek yogurt
1/4 c. olive oil mayo
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. hot madras curry powder
salt and pepper to taste

I used a rotisserie chicken because I was short on time and it was delicious.  Also, you can always use 1/2 cup of raisins instead of mixing the two and use a 1 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or mayo only.  You don't have to use both.  I was worried it might be a little too sweet from the yogurt, that's why I added the mayo.  Also, use your own judgement regarding the dryness/wetness of your salad.  You want the ingredients to stick together but not be too dry or wet.  Feel free to experiment.  Over all, I really liked this salad.  I liked the unexpected heat of the curry mixed with the tangy apple and dried cranberries.  It ended up being a big hit with everyone at the party.  I served it with wheat pitas and spinach.

Try it out and leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment