Sunday, April 6, 2014

Avocado in your smoothie

Have you tried using avocado as a substitute for oil or eggs or bananas in recipes?  I thought it was kind of weird in thought. I mean, avocado?? It's green and used in guacamole. Who puts it in a drink?


Well I do now!   I love it in smoothies. It adds a whole level of creaminess that not even bananas can create. This is my new favorite smoothie combination. 

Chocolate Protein Raspberry - Strawberry - Blueberry Green Smoothie

1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 ripe avocado
2 spinach ice cubes or 1 cup fresh spinach and 1 cup ice
1 cup almond milk or 1 chopped up apple
1 cup frozen berries (raspberry - strawberry - blueberry any combination)
1 scoop chocolate protein

I put the frozen ingredients at the bottom and pour the milk over the top and blend until smooth. 

If it is too thick, add a little more liquid. If it's not cold enough or thick enough, add more ice. 

It is amazing!  It has the consistency of frozen yogurt and makes for a delicious breakfast - snack - dessert.  And it is ridiculously filling. It makes about 16 oz of smoothie and works perfectly for two servings. 

To share or freeze for later :)

Oh and if you haven't made spinach ice cubes yet, you should definitely do it!  I buy a big bag of fresh spinach when it's on sale and dump the whole thing in my Vitamix and add just about a cup of water so I can blend the spinach until it's completely liquid. Then I pour the liquid into my ice cube trays and freeze them. Once frozen, I pop them out of the trays and put them in a ziploc bag and save them to throw a couple in a smoothie every day. Easiest way to make a tasty green smoothie and add some vitamins! 

No comments:

Post a Comment