Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Blues

I don't know why but for some reason this year, Matt and I have a serious case of the Christmas blues. Neither of us was that excited to decorate or deal with the tree. Everything seems like it's been so much more of a hassle than a celebration. I think it's a culmination of a bunch of little things. Zander still doesn't have his top two teeth, going on month 2 of constant teething and month 4 of getting up 3-4 times a night. The "Gimme's" have really gotten to Gabe, everywhere we go we hear whining and temper tantrums about needing more toys, more anything. This has been since Halloween. Matt's work schedule has been inconsistent and throws us all for a loop. It seems like once we establish a daily schedule, it gets thrown out the window. Now that Matt's going back to college, that's just one more thing to juggle. While we're both happy and excited about him finishing his degree, it's so SO much harder when you have two small children and a full time job. Hear that all you college kids - Stay in school!

With all this piling on top of me, I am also falling behind in housework. Seems like I can never catch up to the laundry and dishes. Feeling behind in decorating the house and all the holiday festivities. Have a to do list that stretches a mile long. And even though I'm trying as hard as I can to juggle everything, more and more is added on top and I end up dropping things. Then I have the struggle with myself not to blow up about the little things that have dropped. "What's most important for today, Genna?"

It's just hard. Hard to be joyful and spirited when everything seems to be bogging us down. But we got the tree up and the stockings up, I guess those are the most important things right? The rest of the decorations will get done, sometime... I got our Christmas music added to our iTunes, so we can at least pretend to be jolly! And got all the Christmas DVD's burned and presents all packaged up to be mailed.

I wanted to share a new Christmas song with everyone. Coldplay just put out a Christmas album entitled "Christmas Lights" and while I generally swear by everything Coldplay does, I extra swear by the title song. While it's not a super-happy-merry-joyful song, the first time I heard it, it was everything I needed to hear. So for anyone having the same holiday blues, hopefully this will help you too.

My favorite verse is the very last one, and it goes like this:

Oh Christmas Lights
Light up the streets
Light up the fireworks in me
May all your troubles soon be gone
Those Christmas Lights keep shining on

Here's the music video for "Christmas Lights" by Coldplay. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment