Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Make Your Own: Hair clips and Hair clip wall fixture

I got this idea from a couple different links on Pinterest, but have altered it by using a shoe box instead of a picture frame or piece of cardboard.  I liked the idea of it being a box and sticking out from the wall.  So, to begin, I took one shoe box.  This is a smaller one, it had Gabe's soccer cleats in it.


The easiest way to do this would be if you have a box where the top and bottom are two separate pieces, but as you can see this isn't the case.  So I decided to cut off an extra piece from the back of the bottom piece so it would complete the top.  Kind of a confusing explanation, but you can see what I mean in the next picture.


See how I cut extra from the bottom piece to make the top piece a full four sided rectangle?  I used duct tape to secure all four sides.


I had a bunch of green felt left over from Christmas crafts and thought it would look cute for all my flower bows to have a green background.  So I measured out the sides and drew the cut lines on my green felt.


I cut all the sides a little long so they would overlap into the box, making it easier to secure with hot glue.


Then I went, side by side, and stretched my green felt up and over the edge, hot gluing the fabric at the bottom and inside the box.


I also hot glued the seams on the corners so there wouldn't be any cardboard showing through.


The covered box.


The next step was to measure out ribbon to attach the bows to.  I wrapped the ribbon inside the box and hot glued it in place.


I used three different sizes of ribbon (just for variety), but I recommend using a thicker ribbon.  You could also use thin felt strips in place of ribbon to hang your bows.  This is the finished product hanging on the wall.  I like how it sticks out from the wall.


Both the top and the bottom of the box, covered in green felt and wrapped in ribbons.  I chose to make the top hang vertically just to change it up.


Here are the majority of bows I have handmade.  I use a ribbon covered alligator clip to secure them to an elastic head band.  


These are the links I used to make my bows:

*This one I used the most.  I really like the felt bows that look like ribbon.  The original measurements make for a small bow, so I multiplied it by 1 1/2.

Three different types of flower bows

T-shirt fabric flower bow (not pictured)

1 comment: