Thursday, April 19, 2012

Morning Chaos

You know those days where you just want to throw in the towel?  Yeah, mine just happened and I haven't been awake for three hours yet.  Where to start...

Apparently something in our house is really interesting to moths, because we have had a record high amount of moths in our house lately.  I don't understand how they got in (I'm thinking under the screens in the windows), but they are huge.  Like three inches long huge.  Look at your index finger.  Now imagine that it's a moth.  I'm sure you can understand my frustration (and panic).  I know moths aren't bad and they are just like butterflies and they won't hurt anything.  I know that in my head.  But when I see something that huge flying around my house, I tend to panic.  I have killed four in the last 12 hours.  FOUR!  Four huge, radioactive, take over the world sized moths.  Gross.

Let's move on to the dog.  Don't be fooled.  She's the devil in disguise.  
Since we (basically) live in the desert, Charlotte gets really dirty from rolling around in the sand.  Also, I've noticed that she's shedding like crazy.  So (in my infinite wisdom) I decided to start my cleaning today by giving her a bath.  The bathrooms need to be cleaned anyway, so I figured I might as well get her out of the way and then clean the shower and tub after she is done.  I always dread giving her a bath because she HATES water.  Charlotte will not stay in the bathtub unless you have a death grip on her.  

All seemed to be going well in the beginning.  I put the two littles in front of the TV (not a norm, I promise) and gave Zander enough cereal in a bowl to keep him occupied.  Charlotte had gotten through two cycles of water and soap, rinse and repeat with minimal fuss.  I was finishing her up and getting the towel to dry her off and Zander opened the bathroom door.  I'm sure you can guess what happened.

Charlotte takes off down the hallway, shaking excess water off every five seconds (soaking the linoleum) and running towards the door outside.  I am running after her, trying to get the outside door open.  Zander is running after us, slipping and falling all over the floor, crying because he doesn't understand what's going on.  I get the door open (notice that there is yet ANOTHER moth inside the window screen) and everything seems to be okay.  Until Charlotte starts rolling in the sand.


Really dog?  I just spent a half an hour scrubbing and dumping water all over you and in five seconds you completely undo everything.  And add five floors that I need to mop.  And two screaming children.  Oh, Charlotte.  You really are the bane of my existence.  I love how good you are with the kids.  I love that you protect the house.  But you are really on my last nerve.  There is one and only one reason I don't give it up and just find a new home for her.



The kids love her.  And I love my kids.  I can't get rid of their dog.

I think she secretly knows this.  I think she knows that if she tolerates Calla pulling her fur out, Zander sitting on her and Gabe shooting her with his Nerf guns that she can get away with anything.  She is a sly one.  I wouldn't put it past her.  

That won't keep her from spending the day being locked outside though.  I refuse to let her have the last laugh.  So much for limiting my caffeine and sugar intake.  Cup of coffee #2 here I come.  Along with a sizable piece of chocolate angel food cake.


(Recipe break - This is a boxed angel food cake mix.  I just added four tablespoons of dark chocolate cocoa powder and instead of using 1 1/4 cups water, I substituted 1/4 cup of cooled coffee.  Mix and bake as directed.)

I definitely didn't think I would be having a battle of wills with the dog this morning.  And moths.  Don't forget the dang moths!

*If anyone has any advice or tips on how to get rid of these moths, I greatly appreciate it.  I'm thinking I might have to buy some moth balls and set them inside the window sill but am worried about the kids. 

1 comment:

  1. Not a clue how to get rid of moths, but look at that face! She can't possibly be planning anything ;)
    She's just such a doll <3

    ReplyDelete