Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Huge list of reviewed recipes!

Alright, here it is!  My giant list of recipes I have used (some more than others) within the last couple months.  I am sorry to put them all in one post, but I keep forgetting to take pictures every time I cook something or don't get a chance to create a single post after every delicious meal.  Anyway, I hope you find some new favorites.  This will, undoubtedly, be the last blog posting before we leave for Michigan.  I apologize in advance for the hiatus, but I will resume blogging as soon as I get a chance.  I am sure you are all anxious to hear about our road trip.  In the future, if you want to keep track of recipes I have tried, you can always check my Pinterest board - Recipes - tried and true.  Here I keep all the recipes we like and I try to include any edits I have made to the recipe.

Breakfast Foods:

Honey Quinoa Flax Granola
I found it to be tasty but a little bland.  If I made it again, I would add more cinnamon.  Also it took a little longer to cook for me to get it crunchy (about ten minutes).  I didn't have any flax seeds so I used chia seeds as a replacement.

Refrigerator Oatmeal
I love the idea of this for a fast easy breakfast.  It didn't seem like it made a lot, but it was very filling!  I love the raspberry vanilla version and am anxious to try the others.  I added chopped walnuts right before I ate it to add some more crunch.

Non-Vegetarian Meal:

Bacon Risotto
This was the first risotto I had ever made and it was phenomenal.  I added frozen peas and extra cheese (mozzarella) at the very end.  It was surprisingly easy to make and gave me (perhaps a false) sense of confidence.  I definitely plan on making risotto again.

Vegetarian Meals:

Veggie and Cheese Quinoa Casserole
Made this and used chicken broth instead of water. Also added peas, carrots and mushrooms and mozzerella cheese. Sooo good, have to double it next time.  Tastes like a veggie mac and cheese.

Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
This was my first time using quinoa and started my obsession.  I really loved this recipe, but the boys weren't too keen on the squash.  I might use a spaghetti squash instead next time.

Quinoa and Black Bean Taco Salad
So so so good!  I combined the quinoa and black beans and seasoned them together with a taco seasoning mix.  I love how light it is and versatile - I ate it as a salad with lettuce, avocado and cheese and the boys liked it with crunched up chips, cheese and sour cream.  It is even good left over.  The only problem I had was that it made a TON!  We have leftovers and also I froze about half of it.

Miso Soup with Rice and Egg
Made this with half chicken broth stock and water instead of dashi and omitted the scallions because I didn't have any. Was BY FAR the best Miso soup I ever had. The rice added a crunch and texture and the egg added richness. I have used noodles in it too, instead of rice.  I added them immediately after adding the tofu and they didn't take long to cook.  So completely and udderly delicious. The miso paste I found was Cold Mountain brand.

Snacks:

Raw Cookie Dough bites
I couldn't get the oats and nuts ground down enough to where they looked like the picture.  Maybe it was just my food processor.  I wasn't too fond of the flavors, I think I will stick with my energy bar recipe.

Roasted Chickpeas
Delicious snack!  I have made this recipe twice now - the first time, they were gone within 15 minutes.  The second time, I made it with two cans of chickpeas and stored the extra in a zip loc bag.

Crunchy Cereal Trail Mix
I have made this a couple times, mostly when we have multiple almost empty boxes of cereal, and it has always turned out delicious!  Also, I almost always double the recipe because it gets eaten so fast and it really is easy to make.  The kids love it as a snack or as a granola-ish cereal.  Today, I used 3 cups Kix, 3 cups Rice Krispies, 3 cups Multi-Grain Cheerios, 1 cup raisins, 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.  I kept the wet ingredients the same.  Because I doubled the recipe, I used two cookie sheets and roasted the dry mixture for five minutes, churned the mixture around and roasted for another five minutes.  After adding the wet ingredients, I did the same thing as before - roasted for five minutes on one size, flipped it over and roasted another five minutes.  Then after it cools, break it down into chunks and store in a ziploc bag.

Carbs:

Easiest White Bread recipe ever
It really is easy!  I have made it multiple times now and have never had problems with it.  If four loaves of bread are too much for you, I have cut the recipe in half and had no problems.  Also, I have frozen the loaves before in vaccum seal bags, left them on the counter to thaw and they tasted just as good as when they were first baked.  Not dried out, not crunchy in spots, just delicious.  I have made this recipe with regular white flour, with bread flour and with whole wheat flour and all the loaves have been good.  It says in the recipe that you use 7 cups to 9 cups of flour, depending on how much the dough needs.  I have almost always used between 9 and 10 with white/bread flour and I used 9 today with whole wheat.  I start the kneading process in my KitchenAid until I hit cup 7 of flour and then take the dough out and add the last two by hand on my counter top.

Pizza Dough
Love love love this recipe!  I am so glad I was pointed towards it by a friend on Pinterest.  I have used other pizza dough recipes before, but this is by far the best when you are trying to match homemade pizza to delivery pizza.  I do recommend that you use bread flour for this recipe, I have never tried it with regular.  It makes two large pizza crusts.  I have split the dough in half and froze it, thawed it out overnight in the fridge and it was just as delicious as freshly made.  I love the bread stick recipe that she includes in this post.  Also, if you are making this for kids, a friend recommended rolling the dough out and putting it inside a 8" cake pan - tastes and looks just like a personal pan pizza from other delivery restaurants.  

Dessert:

Chocolate Caramel Cookies with Sea Salt
I love this recipe with and without the caramel in the center.  When I made it with caramel, I used the squares you find around Halloween time and cut them in half.  The batter looks a lot like a brownie batter, very moist, but works wonders for kids that have egg allergies.  I have doubled the recipe every time I have made it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment