Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Healthy eating recipes from last week

Rosie and I decided to start the 60 day workout program - "Insanity" - last week. 
Yes, I know. 
I am not sure what we were thinking. 

Oh yes I do. 
Summer is coming (at some point) and we want to be ready!

Anyway, we decided that it is pointless to do this incredibly strenuous work out if we counter the calorie burn by eating what we had been (too big of portions, carb overload, ice cream every night).  So, we started eating much better.  And these are some of the recipes we ate from last week.  I am so excited that they all turned out fantastically! They will definitely be added to the menu rotations.  Best of all, they are all healthy!  Can't beat that!

Pizza-Style Portobello Caps
   These were so delicious!  I hit a sale on portobello caps and scooped these up (two for each adult) and I am glad I did!  Precook the caps a little to soften them up, then spread pizza sauce over the underside and top with whatever you want.  I added chopped up spinach, zucchini, Italian sausage and onion and it was heavenly!  Since Gabe (and Zander) have developed some kind of aversion to mushrooms, I made their pizzas on whole wheat tortillas and baked them along side the mushrooms.  Both turned out really good!  I highly recommend trying this out!
from What Contains Gluten?

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
   I was a little nervous about this recipe just because I had tried stuffing peppers before and it didn't work out very well.  I found this time that if you parboil the peppers for about three minutes before stuffing them, then they get nice and tender and a lot easier to cut.  I used turkey and mozzarella cheese instead of provolone and roast beef and it was super delicious.  I also added a little Worcestershire sauce to the turkey when it was cooking.  It really is this easy and good.
from Quick and Easy Recipes
Taco Cupcakes
   These were also super easy and delicious.  I used a tablespoon of refried beans and a tablespoon of seasoned ground turkey in each 'cupcake'.  The kids really ate this up since it was so easy for them to pick up and eat.  It is also a great way to use up wonton wrappers if you happen to have any left.  I always make cheese rangoons with our home made Chinese but almost always have left over wrappers.  They are so cheap and not too bad for you that I don't mind using them here in place of a shell or tortilla.  I also made these Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls with our taco 'cupcakes'.
from Recipe by Photo

Italian Sausage Ratatouille
   Ratatouille is one of Matt's favorite summer meals, especially with grilled veggies.  This recipe is really great if you have a bunch of random vegetables that you need to get rid of, or if you just want something that feels substantial but isn't calorie filled.  I used hot Italian turkey sausage and carrots alongside all the other vegetables the recipe calls for.  This was the first time I ever tried cooking and eating eggplant and it wasn't too bad.  I was a little nervous at first, but once it was cooked, the texture was similar to zucchini.  To make it a little more filling, I served it over a little brown rice (for the kids) and quinoa (for me).  You could definitely serve this over pasta.  I omitted the tomato paste only because I like my Italian food a little more liquidy than saucy.
from Spoonful
That's it!  I highly recommend all of these recipes!  As for the "Insanity", if you don't hear from me...
it's because I am busy working my $#@^ off.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I am totally trying those stuffed pepper things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out super delicious! My sister decided to make a veggie one and added mushrooms, onions and quinoa with the cheese and hers was really good too!

    ReplyDelete