Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fun ideas to pass rainy days

Now that I am full time stay at home Mom (again), we get to do so many fun things during the day.  One rainy day this past week (take your pick, it rained pretty much every day), I decided to try out this recipe for homemade finger paint that I found on Pinterest.

All it calls for is white sugar, cornstarch and water.  Measure it out (1/2 c. cornstarch, 4 tbsp white sugar and 2 c. cold water), stir it so the ingredients combine, bring it to a boil and the mixture thickens to a gel consistency.  It is amazing!  I separated out a spoon full in a couple different containers and mixed food coloring in with it to color the 'paint'.  There was plenty left over (which I saved in a tupperware to use the next rainy day) so it is a multiple day activity!  You really don't need more than a tablespoon or so per color, a little really goes a long way.  My children decided they would rather paint with brushes, so I grabbed some of our Dollar Tree brushes for them to use.

It was a lot of fun!  We used butcher paper to make a mural and decorated it with foam stickers of flowers and butterflies to give it a spring feel.  I was surprised how fast the paint dried after I hung up the painting.

We also had a lot of fun drawing with chalk 
and dry erase markers on the boards 
I made when we were in Texas.
DIY Chalk-Marker boards

No comments:

Post a Comment