Tuesday, October 29, 2013

"Ninnie (Minnie) Mousie" birthday party and links

When I first ask Calla what kind of birthday party she wanted, "Ninnie Mousie" was what came out. 

"Ninnie Mousie birthday party!  Ninnie Mousie!!"  

And for the last month. 

"Ninnie Mousie!!  Ninnie Mousie party, Mom!"  
"I know Calla, you are having a Minnie Mouse birthday party."  
"Ninnie Mousie!"

Ever since we went to Disney World this summer, Calla has been obsessed with Minnie Mouse and Cinderella.  I decided on a Minnie Mouse party because I thought it fit her age group the best.  And it works perfectly that she can wear her costume to her birthday party (the upside of a Halloween birthday, I guess).  So once the theme was decided, I began scouring the internet for party and decoration ideas.  My birthday parties are always planned in advance and thoroughly thought through.  

This is what ended up coming together.


Many might say that I am cliche or overdoing it, but I don't care.  I always have a banner or pennant saying "Happy Birthday" somewhere in the house and hang streamers from the ceiling.  I ALWAYS do this.  For EVERY birthday party.  Because... birthdays are special.  And even though the streamers fall down numerous times during the day, it is worth it to see my kids so excited.  I want them to know how much of a celebration it is that they were born.  How much fun and happiness they bring to my life.  So I go over the top decorating and planning.  And I will... for as long as I am able.

We are a sucker for balloons at birthday parties.  Everyone gets a ton of balloons.  And even though they are kind of a waste (the helium is dead by that night), they totally set the mood for the birthday party and provide fantastic entertainment.  I have seen old kids (7 and up) and young ones (1 and up) all enjoy the bouncy fun of a balloon.  I was so excited to see these polka dot ones (here).  They fit perfectly into the Minnie Mouse theme.

In keeping with the Minnie Mouse theme, I immediately set out how to decorate a cake for Minnie Mouse.  Every year, the birthday kid gets their own personal cake.  It is a 6 inch pan I bought while we were living in South Korea (you can buy one here) and works perfectly with cake mixes from boxes (you end up with 18 cupcakes instead of 24).  This is another thing that I do specially every year.  Something my kids count on every year, knowing that they get a whole cake to themselves.  They can eat as much or as little of it as they want (it is their party after all) and it can be decorated how ever they want.  It might sound strange or like extra work, but when it is party time - they love it so I love it.

I found another blog that used Double Stuff Oreos and mini Oreos to get the Mickey Mouse effect, so I used that example along with edible pearls to decorate the tops of the cupcakes and Calla's personal cake.

I wanted to have another treat option - in case there weren't enough cupcakes or as a back up plan in case the cupcakes didn't turn out exactly how I wanted - so I bought a Mickey Mouse cookie cutter (can buy this here) and dyed the marshmallows different shades of pink for effect.

Another food choice was trail mix.  My kids LOVE trail mix.  Any thing with nuts and raisins and they go crazy.  I found half of this mix from Target (Peanut Butter and Jelly Trail mix) and added shredded coconut, almonds, peanuts and raisins to bulk it up a little bit.  I liked that it had the pink and purple yogurt covered raisins.

Over all the party was a huge success.  Calla had a great time seeing all her family on all sides and loved being the center of attention (as long as Mom was in sight).  She loved dressing up in her Minnie Mouse costume and had a riot playing with her new Princesses and castle.  However, Calla's favorite present was the chap stick my Grandma got her.  Never fails.  

Zander is also a big fan of Calla's new toys.  Pink is just a color, right?


There are a lot of amazing ideas online for Minnie Mouse birthday parties.  I pulled some ideas from these blogs, but there were a lot of ideas that I didn't a chance to do.  Check 'em out!

No Link

Sugar Fresh Designs - Free Minnie Mouse Banner
Peonies and Poppyseeds - Minnie Mouse Birthday Printables
No Link
LoveThisPic - Minnie Mouse Party Pictures
FunPicBoard
This is the recipe I used for Calla's Red Velvet cake and cupcakes.  I ended up tripling the recipe as it says it makes 10 cupcakes.  Also, I used Namaste Gluten Free All Purpose Flour instead of the King Arthur brand, 1 tablespoon of red food coloring and added 1/2 cup of oil to the batter to add moisture.  It had rave reviews and turned out delicious.  I will warn you that it is much more dense than a standard cake mix cake and is more the consistency of a pound cake - but still very good.

Cupcake Project - GF Red Velvet Cupcakes
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment