Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Gluten Free Stuffing (my favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal)

Whenever I am making a new recipe for a big event (birthday or holiday), I always give it a test run.

My biggest fear is that I make the recipe and it turns out awfully and everyone looks at me with mixed emotions of terror, disgust and anger.  "How dare she serve us this!"  "Oh my, she thought this was edible?"  "What was she thinking?"

Sorry.  I get a little carried away.  But really, I do test out a new recipe.

I was inspired by this Gluten-Free Sage Dressing recipe by Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom.  I picked this one because I LOVE sage.  And because it looked easy.  And I am all about easy.

 I followed all the same steps that GF Mom listed, but I changed up my ingredients a little.

Here is my recipe:

Genna's GF Stuffing

2 loaves of GF bread (either store bought GF bread like Udi's or homemade GF bread)
2 1/2 cups diced celery (ended up being a full pack of celery hearts for me)
1 1/2 cups diced onions (about 2 medium)
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
4-6 cups broth (I will get to this at the end).
2 tbsp poultry seasonings
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper (to taste)

Because I chose to make the bread from scratch, I had to start there.  After it was done, I cubed up the bread in as fine of pieces as I could and then ripped it a little smaller.  Each piece ended up being around 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch.   I spread these pieces between two large jelly roll pans and dried these at 250 degrees for about 45 minutes.  After I took these out I turned the heat up to 350 degrees to warm up.  Then I diced up the veggies.  I like them in small pieces, so I cut each piece of celery in half before dicing it up.  After cutting them up I put the full stick of butter in the pan and turned the heat on to medium.  When the butter was completely melted, I added the 2 tablespoons of poultry seasoning and salt and pepper and turned off the heat.  I dumped the bread chunks into the baking dish and then put the butter and veggie mixture in and spread everything through.  When I felt it was thoroughly mixed, I added the chicken broth.  This part was the trickiest.  After I added three cups, I let the stuffing sit for about five minutes and gave it a chance to soak in.  I stirred it up and noticed that all the broth had been absorbed so I added another cup of broth and put it in the oven to bake.  I could have easily added another cup of broth or two as the stuffing was good, but sections of it was a little dry.  It really is just up to you, depending on if you want more crispy stuffing or not.  Then I baked the stuffing for 30 minutes covered, stirred it (checked the moistness - you could add more broth here if you felt it was getting dry) and cooked it for another 10 minutes uncovered.

When I took it out, I was in heaven.  Stuffing is my absolute favorite part of Thanksgiving and I couldn't even wait for it to cool before I tried it.

It was amazing.  It was heaven.  It tastes just as great as it looks. 

Trust me, try this recipe.  I can't wait to make this again on Thanksgiving day.
 Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment